Saturday 28 March 2009





















HOME AT LAST
I think this must go down as one of the worst trips I have had. It took 11 days, 6 of them were layovers because of the problems in the previous posts, and I only covered about 2500 miles.
The top 3 pictures are taken on "Blue Water Bridge" from Sarnia, On into Port Huron, Mi. The next 5 were taken on "Mackinac Bridge" which takes you over "The Straits of Mackinac" which link Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.
This was also the first time I had been on the "Upper Peninsula" in Michigan. It was a lovely part of the country but only 2 lane for most of the way.
On my return to the yard I was very impressed with what happened next. I went in and seen dispatch as normal, they had a bit of a laugh and joke about how long the job took me then I was told that one of the owners wanted a chat with me, oh oh that's usually bad news when it happens to me. When I got to see him he sat me down and asked how things were going and that one or two things that happened this trip should never have happened. Then he asked if I was happy with the way things were handled from that end and we discussed how a couple of things could have been done differently and he assured me that it was being looked into and then as a parting shot he told me............. to make sure I got paid all the layovers.
I wonder how many company owners would still take the time to sit with one of their drivers like that and chat to them for over an hour. Sue and Gary were waiting in the car for me and thought I had been fired it was taking so long.
Leaving again Sunday afternoon to go to Illinois empty, wash out and reload back to Winnipeg, hopefully with no delays or breakdowns.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure looks like you have found a good company to work for. Sure makes it easier to bear the issues when they arise, knowing that you are not forgotten and that things are being noticed.

Their rigs sure look nice too. If you are over NB or NS way in May, give us a holler!!

Graham Parks said...

I went that route on New yerars Eve 2008, over the bridge and then Hwy 2,from St Ignance,Deluth, across to Grand Forks,, ran the whole nite, through snow and ice, got home and zonked out for 15 hrs..lol

Dave Caldwell said...

Made a nice change going that way, may be doing it again this week if I29 is still closed.

Dave Caldwell said...

Yes got some good equipment Anon

FINCH said...

I find that wheel picture the ice designed is extremely cool!!! I had the same thing happen to me my first year driving. Was doing Vancouver to kelowna and back and forth 6 times on xmas eve and xmas day and my wheels did the same thing. Not like yours but the lug nut covers did this amazing twirling thing almost into a perfect circle. I took a picture but i lost it somehow. Kick myself for losing it. It is one of those cool things we get to see! But yours is very, very cool!!

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks Finch, I thought it was pretty cool too. I had seen it before but always forgot to take any pictures.

mickfly said...

Yep, good pics mate, and seems like a good boss too.

Drive safe.

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks Mick, best I have had in a while.

Martin said...

Good to hear, Dave. Nice to see that they look after you well.

You know my next question . . . .

Do they have any LMO's?? LOL

M.

Dave Caldwell said...

Martin, sent you a message.