Thursday 22 May 2008

22nd May 2008


The clutch on unit 226 decided to give up the ghost while I was in the queue to Cross the border into USA at Pembina. I called the fleet maintenance manager who said he wanted to get it repaired in Canada but I was already in "no mans land". After speaking to US customs and border control they agreed to let me cross the border to turn around and I explained that I would need a path clearing as I needed to keep the truck rolling.
They obliged but I then had some explaining to do at the Canadian side on my return. After a while they agreed to let me return and I got the truck safely back to Steinbach for repair.
The top picture is the truck I have been driving today and will be again tomorrow. 226 should be back on the road Friday evening or Saturday morning.
Sue and I have been busy in the garden again, weeding, watering and getting rid of some of the dead grass that was damaged by the long winter.
The bottom picture was a little bird that decided he needed a shower while we had the sprinklers on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok this may be a daft question:) (me never!)
If you had to get customes to clear a path to cross the border....(and see you managed to stop at the Canadian border) just how did you manage to drive home safley?

its whit monday here (commonwealth day) ah monday in Southport!

Ian T

Dave Caldwell said...

Ian
The transmission in these trucks is a crash gearbox as opposed to synchromesh that you find in cars and most european trucks. Changing gear is all about split second timing and is relatively easy with practice and once moving. What it did mean though is that if I had to stop at all I would have to start the truck in low gear. I only had to stop once in the 60 mile journey back to Steinbach.

Anonymous said...

ah I know all about crash :)
especially the pain that follows... still suffering . teach me a lesson for banner carrying before recovering .
Ian

Dave Caldwell said...

It would be better if you could completely recover from one crash before the next one :)