Wednesday 6 January 2010








These photos and the ones below are of my trip to California, I will post a map once the trip is completed. I am sitting in Edmond, Oklahoma now resetting my hours so cant leave again until Friday morning so let me tell you a true story.........Its all over facebook and my friends have been giving me loads of stick so here goes......
My second night away from home, Friday, new years day found me stopping fairly early because of bad weather, roads were pure hard packed snow and ice. I made it as far as Dubois, Idaho, a small and friendly truckstop. There was no full restaurant so it was bread sticks and pizza for tea.
I set the alarm and had a great nights sleep. Alarm went off, up I got, went inside for the usual things in the morning, you know coffee and stuff, it was snowing heavy and windy too. Got my coffee and went back to the truck to do my pre trip checks, all ok, start engine and let it warm up, quick close the door its cold!!! Truck warmed up and off I go, about 3 hours later I need to make a stop, must have been the coffee, so into a rest area. Now as some of you know I don't wear shoes inside the truck, it helps to keep it clean, these are kept by the door at the side of my seat. So I reach down for my shoes aarrgghh, they have gone!!!! A quick look around and I remember taking them off on the step as I got in the truck, as I usually do, but with the snow and wind and rushing to close the door I had left them sitting on the step. Quick, open the door and check, no they have gone. So what do I do now? I have a pair of safety shoes in the locker outside, its still snowing and windy and I have to wear my flip flops to get out and find my safety shoes, got them, now my feet are wet and cold and I am missing a pair of adidas trainers left 180 mile away.
Could have been worse, no safety shoes and only flip flops would not be good in that weather.
The only thing I done wrong was telling Sue, because now everyone knows.

10 comments:

Peter C said...

Hi Dave

You can at least console yourself with the knowledge some vagrant is now probably looking quite dapper in a pair of adidas runners.

Re the photos of your parking in the yard above, yes we have plenty of places like that too in Australia. It makes me feel humble knowing that some well paid architect who wouldn't p**s on a truck driver if he was on fire, has made full use of his years of training to design such a masterpiece.

Pete C

mickfly said...

Me laughing?....noooooo!


Drive safe.

Sal_Lee said...

that will take some living down matie, lol

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks guys, glad I could cheer you all up!!!

ian t said...

see great minds think alike...the snow is only upto the top of the socks here and only -5 but still wear the flip flops and shorts to go out in it !!!!!

Dave Caldwell said...

Ian, the size of your feet I could use your flip flops as a snow board lol

Trkrjim said...

in the winter i use a dark colored bath towel on the floor on top of my usual mats. my wife sews them together folded over so they don't move around much. soaks up all the water and mud and keeps the truck clean. I can't drive barefoot.

Susie said...

she must've forgot to tell me that!!

Sure you've not grown blonde hair over Christmas?!!

Thanks for that Dave, just laughed me socks off!!!!!

Tony T said...

Hi dave,
Bit tight ain't it..

TT

Dave Caldwell said...

and before anyone asks, no I didn't laugh my socks off.... only my shoes lol