Thursday 21 January 2010


Got home at last. The trip was full of incidents, over 10.000 miles and 22 days on the road.
I last posted from Oklahoma, from there I went to Brampton then Listowell, On to Hazleton, Pa and back to Brampton then picked up a loaded trailer going to Memphis, Tn.
On Thursday 14th I noticed a strange vibration coming from the drive train somewhere, called Andy and between us we looked at a couple of things that we thought it could be. While doing this I had dropped the trailer. To pull the pin on these trucks you need a long handle with a hook on the end, a 5th wheel puller, to reach in and pull the handle.
We got the truck booked in to a dealers only 30 mile from where I was but with the delivery booked in Memphis next morning I was now under a bit of pressure. With all my rushing around I hooked back up to my trailer and set off to Bowling Green, Kentucky where the mechanics would be waiting. I drove out of the rest area but had left the 5th wheel puller on the cat walk which in turn bounced off and hit the truck passing me causing the damage seen in the pictures above. Andy was very understanding, as was the other driver, even although it was totally my fault.
Once in the shop it was discovered I needed a new universal joint on the drive shaft, a nice quick job.
24hrs later I was leaving with a rescheduled delivery for Saturday morning and a reload in Big Spring, Texas Monday morning going to Medicine Hat, Alberta. From there I eventually got a load back to Steinbach!
The bottom picture is a cotton field in south west Texas.

5 comments:

Martin said...

Hell of a trip, Dave!!

Our one year old car that we sold last year had less miles on it than you did in that trip and we'd owned it from new!! The new one, at only 6 months old has less than half of your last trip mileage!!!

Pretty impressive looking route on the map as well.

So, some well deserved time off eh??

Martin.

Dave Caldwell said...

It was a superb trip Martin. 5 days off now, till Wednesday.

Tony T said...

Hi dave,

You must be looking for a new Job with Ordenance Survey Maps in the UK after looking at that Map. LOL

TT

Dave Caldwell said...

That was quite the trip TT

Mick Flynn Images said...

Very nice run Dave, shame about the hook incident.
Drive safe.