Saturday 8 November 2008

8th November 2008































Just last week I was saying that winter is approaching fast. It arrived this week and it obviously came as a bit of surprise to some. It also gave me a strong reminder of how easy it is to find yourself in the same situation as in the pics above. First came the freezing rain then it snowed on top, very slippy. This time of year and then again at the end of winter makes for some of the most dangerous driving. In a few weeks it will be so cold that there is no moisture in the air, it doesn't rain and there is nothing to freeze. Right now we can't even see out our front windows at home, it has rained overnight and is currently -6 Centigrade.
Got my gun licence in the post this week so going to Cabellas and Wholesale Sports to spend some more money.
Leaving on Sunday this week to go to Minnesota, Tuesday is a holiday here, remembrance day, and I am taking Friday off to go deer hunting.
Think my next job will be at Timmys!!!
DRIVE SAFE!

10 comments:

Graham Parks said...

Am i glad im not able to drive at the mo!!! well maybe after seeing the usual carnage as the winter settles in.. Trans X seem to lose more trucks than other companies,i wonder why ???>??

Dave Caldwell said...

Those were my exact thoughts too Graham. Strange to say this but I really can't wait till it gets colder now.
Take care mate and get back on the road soon.

Anonymous said...

did you ever see the film "day after tomorrow" or is it just happening for you already.
All we have is rain and very very large hailstones at the moment (ouch)

Bit worrying about the gun, strange what some people will resort too, to stop their kids taking the family car :)

Anonymous said...

Gulp ...oh sh*t!


Lol, that was Caths reaction to your pics.

Dave Caldwell said...

Ian, the most worrying thing is it hasn't stopped them taking my car. Sorry never seen that fim though!!

Dave Caldwell said...

Mick & Cath, dont worry too much it gets better in a couple of weeks. Had another couple of inches of snow during the night but I only have 432 miles to do today 8)

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, it looks like a war zone out there. Strange how most of the jack knifes look so similar?

Take care on the road Dave. By the way what gun are you going to get, any details?

Cheers

Andy

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, I have followed your blog since you left Lewis Tankers way back when. You have had a great adventure which is ongoing and I wish you and your family the best for the future. I have to say how disappointed I am in you with your wish to go Deer Hunting. I did not ever think from all your writings that you would kill for killings sake or for the fun of it? Fishing is one thing as they can be thrown back but a Deer? When you get bored what next Dave? Moose, Bear endangered species?
You are working at your third job since arriving in Canada and I am of the opinion you did Big Freight as much of an injustice as they did you and the same seems to be of HyTek. I wondered if those accounts would be on your cv for prospective employers of the future?
I have read other accounts of drivers working and living in Canada and yours was one of the best....I now have to have a rethink or give your blog a miss if your gun exploits and photos are included. I guess others may be of the same thoughts and feelings as myself.

Dave Caldwell said...

Andy I bought a Tikka T3 Lite in .270wsm calibre.

Dave Caldwell said...

Anonymous, see my reply on the blog on 10th November.