Monday 10 November 2008

10th November 2008

Thought this comment below was worth seeing on the front page rather than hiding in the comments on my blog. To read it as posted please see the comments on 8th November.

"Hi Dave, I have followed your blog since you left Lewis Tankers way back when. You have had a great adventure which is ongoing and I wish you and your family the best for the future. I have to say how disappointed I am in you with your wish to go Deer Hunting. I did not ever think from all your writings that you would kill for killings sake or for the fun of it? Fishing is one thing as they can be thrown back but a Deer? When you get bored what next Dave? Moose, Bear endangered species?You are working at your third job since arriving in Canada and I am of the opinion you did Big Freight as much of an injustice as they did you and the same seems to be of HyTek. I wondered if those accounts would be on your cv for prospective employers of the future?I have read other accounts of drivers working and living in Canada and yours was one of the best....I now have to have a rethink or give your blog a miss if your gun exploits and photos are included. I guess others may be of the same thoughts and feelings as myself."
09 November 2008 15:22

Thank you for your comments Anonymous, yes I call you that because you happened to forget to sign your posting. My family would also like to thank you for your best wishes, now that is out of the way I would like to respond to your comments and I will deal with them one at a time.

1. You know absolutely nothing about me or my family or even our situation here in Canada apart from what you read here so how can you claim to know the reason for me deciding to go hunting. As for killing for killing sake or for pleasure, wrong again, it will put food on our table and that of many other people.

2."Get bored of it", if I do get bored of it then I will find another way of enjoying the great outdoors. "Moose, bear, endangered species" Well the first two are hunted legally but not the last one, sorry to disappoint you. Yes I may well hunt those two named species.

3. Please explain what my employment history has to do with you disagreeing to my hunting and more to the point what has it got to do with you at all. Just for the record, if I am unhappy at work or treated unfairly then I will move on and yes they will all be on my cv I have nothing to hide. The sad, unhappy ones are the ones that stick at jobs they don't like and why? What for?
I won't so get over it.

All you have done here is prove how narrow minded some people can be. Do you ever, or have, eaten meat? Man has been killing animals for different reasons since the beginning of time. In case you may be the slightest bit interested they actually call it harvesting here in North America, ask yourself why.
I am not going to waste my time checking out statistics but if you care so much do it for yourself but check out how much damage is caused every year by these animals, to crops, houses, land, property, vehicles. I would even go so far to suggest that there are as many insurance claims for vehicle damage due to wild animals than by other drivers.
So sorry that you will be giving my blog a miss but my blog is here for those that are interested in us as a family, who we are, what we are up to and where we are going.
Have a good week and I am going hunting tomorrow. I will let you know how I get on.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strange how 'anon' assumes you always throw the fish back!

I wouldn't wouldn't have bothered with an explanation to him/her as they are just expressing an opinion, and at least they aren't issuing death threats like I used to get when I had my own blog (which was critical of Islam).

Animals bring out strange reactions in lots of people but usually only if they are 'pretty' ie, watch people stamp on a cockroach, but berate you for shooting and eating lovely, pretty, fluffy vermin like bunny rabbits.

Keep up the blog... although I'm sure you will.

Dave Caldwell said...

Good point about the fish Mick, even when there are pictures on here of me cleaning them to eat and references of us catching lunch.
Thanks for you positive comments and don't worry about being pc, I don't 8)

Graham Parks said...

Glad im not the only blogger that gets hate post !!!! Dont take it too seriously Dave. If a poster cant sign his her name i dont publish any more...

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks Graham, just a little annoyig and I always feel I have to respond but maybe I should just ignore them. There are others that I just delete regularly but those are real cranks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, thank you for your reply and your direct answers. My comments were not written to offend but a blog as open as yours and as truthful would expect those who read it, may not always agree with certain things. I am aware that Canada has a long trapping history etc and maybe because in the old UK it is frowned upon, I guess I was wrong in making any comparison when as you say I dont know all the facts. So I stand corrected and apologise to you if any offence was taken.
Regarding your employment Dave, which you have written a long comment about Big Freight and what they did to you and which is permanently shown on your blog. Then I can only comment on what you have written Dave which is a one sided story of a Company that enabled you to emigrate and helped you and your family settle. Then you having signed a written contract with them, reneged on it. Then moaned about them when they became difficult with you. I feel sure it was not as clear cut as that but I feel sure you would admit that my remarks have some truth behind them.
My comments are for one reason and one reason only Dave, I have been around longer than you and will say this, people have long memories and hold grievances. Dont burn too many bridges or you may find yourself looking further and further affield for employment and dont forget bosses and planners also move on.
This is not hate mail by the way so I wont write again. Thank you for an interesting read on your adventures and a further thank you for allowing readers like myself to comment. The best of luck to you and your family, drive safe. Bye. Anon

Dave Caldwell said...

Apology accepted. The comments about BFS still stand, they are only honest facts about the way the whole episode was handled. If you read my blog properly BFS are given praise where praise is due. Due to current circumstances I cannot comment any further as this is still ongoing.
Please sign in for any further comments to be posted.

Anonymous said...

Doubt Anon will be sending you a Christmas card Dave! :) An interesting read and a well constructed reply from you. Hope you are all well. IW & co.

Dave Caldwell said...

Yeah won't wait for one n the post!! How are things in Darlo then?

didster7 said...

fishing, hunting, enjoying yourself.
quote from annonymous, I now have to have a rethink or give your blog a miss if your gun exploits and photos are included.
I guess others may be of the same thoughts and feelings as myself."

yeah right.

dave can i come with you please!!!!

bobthedogsblog said...

Imagine such a nice man murdering little fluffy creatures!!!
Firstly, there is nothing wrong with hunting to eat. In a land where hunting is what the entire nation was based on, it can not be wrong to live in the same way.
That's the main trouble with the UK now. Too damned soft. I am off with Big Bertha on Friday. Terry says there are some bucks down at his place so I am gonna have me one!!

As for BFS, you did them no disservice. They were good when we got started, then they weren't. It is as simple as that. Time to move on.

Dave Caldwell said...

didster, of course you can join me but wrap up warm.

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks for your support Rob.

Martin said...

Hunting doesn't particularly flick my switch, however, I do believe that you should be free to choose.

I've done a fair bit of coarse fishing in my time; one day sat at my favourite pond I was catching well and it suddenly dawned on me that there was no need. I wasn't eating my catch, just throwing them back after putting them through a bit of stress etc. I packed my kit and never fished again. I have no problem with those that continue to fish as it's their [b]choice[/b].

If you choose to go hunting (and it's all legal and above board) then good luck to you. I would never presume to tell you that you were wrong etc etc, firstly because it's not my place to and secondly, it's your [b]choice[/b]. 'Anon' needs to reflect on the fact that in a free country we are afforded the [b]freedom of choice[/b], something that our forefathers fought and died for; something that should be at the forefront of our minds just now.

There's been enough unwelcome and poorly thought-out constrictive legislation placed on people who use more traditional methods to control 'pests'; hunting with dogs (foxes, hares, etc) as an example!

Good luck with your hunting trips, Dave. I'd rather eat meat that you've shot (i.e. free range) than something that was raised in 'intensive farming' conditions.

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks Martin. I see you have started a blog, be interesting to read about your thoughts and life experiences.

GDWoodhouse said...

Dave,people who have known you as long as i have,both as a mate and a work colleage know your a twat who takes no shite from anyone![well you do as Sue tells you to do!}thats why we have been mates for so long.
To any other annonymous bloggers who want to have a dig at Dave,if you don't like what you might read take the other obviuos action and don't read it.Its not Rocket Science.

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks Garry, friends after all these years even after everything you say about me lol

Anonymous said...

people who do not put their name to what they write are not worth worrying about..... Anyway if you get leftovers any chance of a food parcel :)

Got Ducks in the back garden again.....