Tuesday 7 October 2008

7th October 2008

ANOTHER MOVE
The last few weeks have been a little tough at work and the last couple in particular. Schedules with long hours and little miles and schedules that couldn't even be completed legally. A decision had to be made, we were getting no support from any of the staff, dispatch wasn't interested they needed the job done, management wasn't interested they had other drivers already doing it. So being my usual self I had to make a stand, if the last load of the day couldn't be completed legally or in a reasonable time it wasn't getting done. This meant some decent finish times and on a couple of occasions being done for 2 or 3 o'clock, lovely. On Friday I got a text, YES A TEXT, telling me I had to report to my manager once I was empty, I asked if there was a problem, "Its about your performance", again by text!!!
So my performance wasn't what they were expecting, in fact my performance was being compared to that of two of the worst offenders, when it comes to breaking the law.
The end result was that I parked my truck on Friday afternoon, emptied all my stuff out of it and walked away.
I went to Jason's house made a couple of phone calls, picked up a couple of application forms and arranged an interview for the next day.
I start my new job this week, very similar work, will keep you posted.
There is an epilogue to this but I need to get the permission of other people before posting.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Dave. Jesus, that didn't last long. At least you were able to get another interview quickly. I don't blame you for not running bent, I wouldn't either. It looks like they let you settle in a bit before putting on the pressure. How many companies are looking for drivers in your area? Good luck with the interviews.

Andy

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks Andy, there are lots of drivers still required in this area, both smaller owner operators and large companies have trucks parked. Its just a case of finding one that suits.

Anonymous said...

I think you should try getting a job on a fishing trawler Dave, like those guys in Alaska that's been on the TV - The Deadliest Catch. Make a hobby a career!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you did the correct thing, no company is worth breaking the law for, and I suspect for you the penalty could be quite serious.

prayers for the future as usual

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll do ok mate, it still seems to be a big macho thing to run illegaly both here and there unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

hay you could always be a TV star been watching the "ICE ROAD" drives ove3r here on calbe cool.... in mor eways than one :)

Anonymous said...

BTW do like that top picture nice change

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and best wishes, keep your coments coming I love to hear from you all.
New job has been fine so far.