Saturday 11 February 2012

A WORD OF WARNING

It came to light this week that a certain forum "British Truckers Abroad" has been getting paid by recruiters. That in itself is no big deal but they actively promote these companies as a good option to come to Canada, the latest pays 24.5 cents per mile, well below the average and would be almost impossible to live on. Their is plenty information out there and it is up to the individual to distinguish between fact and fiction.
I pride myself in being totally honest , although outspoken, and will continue to be so.
It seems I got banned from this forum for being abusive, I called the recruiter a liar when he claimed it was a great job with good opportunities, well sorry but 24.5 cpm is abysmal at best and would almost certainly lead to failure here in Canada.
If considering emigrating ask yourself a couple of questions before choosing your new employer. 
If the job is as good as they promise why are they having trouble finding drivers and keeping them? Why are they spending a huge amount of money hiring full time recruiters and trainers to recruit from abroad?
Also be careful of some of the drivers sitting in their ivory towers claiming to know best, a few on this forum have already claimed that this is a good opportunity but yet would not do that job for that money themselves.

*UPDATE*

It seems that it is acceptable to have a go at drivers as a group but not as an individual, that will get you a ban and reported lol
This doesn't count by britincanada
quote "bleating, moaning, pessimistic British truckers who quite frankly would not get a job back in the UK anyway. Lets face it would you want to employ these wasters who slag off and slate everyone who trys to give others a chance there are to many on here"

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave
was that for a single driver or team driving i know when I came out in 2004 working for yanke I was on 25.5 cent per mile driving team we were ment to be doing 20,000 miles a month driving team. which was very hard to do straight out the box so you could earn a living doing it as you both get paid 25.5cents per mile for the 20,000 miles BUT we were not doing 20,000 mouth no where near.So i agree with it not enough to live on. Single driving is far better and i would think 38cent per mile would be the low end doing that plus your add on's

daren.p said...

here here D.C VERY GOOD READ and i think there should be more people out there like your self to stop people putting. this sought of bullshit across to those who are thinking of coming out here. i dont use the forum or website that your on about but totally agree with what you have said. stay safe driver.

Dave Caldwell said...

A single driver pulling a single trailer, it rises to 40cpm pulling triples lol

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks Daren, too many drivers fall for this sort of thing but I am now totally shocked that forums support it and actively promote this.

Anonymous said...

im Neil Simpson and agree with what you have said Dave C bang on for my money and even working for a smaller operator you can earn decent money i was pulling triples for a farmer single driver 42cpm pretty good for what the job entailed anyhow as Mr Caldwell says dig deep and do your research Canada a great place to be and its what you turn it into but if your going to listen to clowns expect to get laughed at keep it shiny side up Mr C keep up the good work

Dave Caldwell said...

Thank you for your comments and input Neil, it's a total disgrace mate. Supposed to be a forum by drivers and for drivers but actively promote a company paying 24.5cpm!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave
its Garren I posted the 1ST comment and I to think it's is wrong to promote a company paying so crap but also banning you for warning people that its so crap Moving to Canada hard enough with out being paid crap

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks Garren

Mick Flynn Images said...

Hi Dave, as soon as they said on the forum don't criticise the guy as he is paying to advertise... I was out.
Have they really banned you for your comments?
I had someone email me recently asking me to put a post on my blog mentioning an immigration company by name, without it appearing that I was getting rewarded for it, just a text link to their site in a 'normal' looking post, no doubt recruiting for similar 'meat on the seat' companies.

Dave Caldwell said...

Yes Mick, banned until AUGUST lol so won't be going back, not when you have the likes of kb33 sitting in his ivory towers spouting the bs that he does.
I was contacted by the same contact from the immigration company, I just ignored it.

Mick Flynn Images said...

Ridiculous, he was offensive back to you, which I thought was the wrong way to react to anything in the position he is in, but didn't Lyndon do similar when challenged by anyone?
The request for a suruptitious advert...
I ignored it as well, but should have posted it on the blog to show them up maybe.
Off to KY this week, look out for the big donuts on a Watt and Stewart flatdeck if you are down that way.

chris arbon said...

Any chance you could put the deleted post up on your blog?
I missed it first time round.

Dave Caldwell said...

And look at what he turned out Mick. I will keep my eyes peeled when I leave tomorrow

Dave Caldwell said...

Chris, my final comment was aimed at britincanada, seems he likes to dish out abuse but can't take it lol. It also appears the the so called recruiter, according to himself of course, has been getting abusive emails. Nothing to do with me and as you well know from personal experience it is hardly my style is it? If I have something to say then it will be said in public, not in a cowardly anonymous private email.

Peter C said...

Dave

When I was researching the possibility of driving in Canada, I found the information you provided was unbiased, informative and realistic. Just wanted to say I appreciated it.

Dave Caldwell said...

Thanks Peter, it's really sad that other drivers can't even be trusted.

Mick Flynn Images said...

You will notice Dave that MOST of the ones on the forum who are abusive, are also anonymous!

Dave Caldwell said...

Of course Mick, that's why they feel they can say what they say whereas you and I don't care, we just say it and stuff the consequences. Cowards the lot of them.