Thursday 13 October 2011

3433 miles, 6 days

The bush fire near Pansy.
Sorry I didn't get this blog up to date last time I was home but we were put on stand by for evacuation due to a bush fire that was out of control.
If you look at the map of the fire we live close to where the bend is on Hwy 12 and Craig lives near where Hwy 12 meets the road marked in red running North-South.
Craig and Jacey decided to leave home and stay with family as everyone else in their street had already evacuated. We stayed put, keeping an eye on the wind direction.
We watched as the flames passed us by and left us unscathed but it was a scary time. We had our bags packed ready to leave.
The fires, 3 nearby, passed by about 3 miles to the west and 4 or 5 miles to the east of our house.
Everything was brought under control during the night, people were allowed to return to their homes, if they were still there and I left home next morning on my next trip which so far has taken me to Oregon, reloaded in Washington and now empty in Calgary.

2 comments:

Mick Flynn Images said...

Lucky escape mate, I hope your neighbours didn't do too bad either.

Dave Caldwell said...

I don't know anyone that lost anything apart from sleep that night Mick.
Very lucky!