Friday 30 July 2010

This is a warning to other drivers using toll roads. I was using the toll road around Houston, Texas. This road has 4 or 5 collection points around it. At one of the toll booths I was charged $6, handed over the correct amount and carried on my way. That evening whilst doing my paperwork I discovered that I had only been given a receipt for $1.50, the cost for a car not a truck. I told this story to a couple of drivers and have since discovered that the practice is common. The collector can supplement their income from truck drivers who don't check the receipt before leaving the toll booth.
I have contacted the company who operate this toll road and they are willing to send me a receipt for the correct amount but refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem or that this happens regularly.
Fortunately we have ez pass so this cuts down on cash payments on the longer and more expensive turnpikes but ez pass is not accepted here.
I have only lost $4.50 so it's not the money but the principle. At least I have learned a lesson on a small payment.

5 comments:

Chris Lunnon said...

Thanks very much for the heads up i will keep an eye on my receipts from now on.

Dave Caldwell said...

Learn by other peoples mistakes lol, lucky it was only a very small amount.

daren p said...

hiya dave , dont mean to sound thick but who'a the big guy in white statue, and was it the cowboy hats that got your attention

Dave Caldwell said...

Daren, the statue is of Sam Houston an American politician and soldier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Houston
It wasn't the cowboy hats, you see them every day but more the relaxed way of life. They had just left the diner and still had time to stop for a chat before getting on their way.

Mick Flynn Images said...

Don't they do the same over here, LOL?