Sunday 20 June 2010



This was my first Class 1 driving job after passing my HGV, I think it was around 1986/1987???
Since passing my test I had spent some time on rigids and working for agencies.
We started doing European work with the ERF in the photo's, mainly Holland, Belgium, Germany, France but I did get to Sweden, Norway and Denmark with them too. My first trip to Europe started when Peter, the boss man, asked if I had a passport. I had never been out the country so no I didn,t. I had to go to the Post Office and buy a 12 month passport over the counter, he even gave me the money to buy it, and a day or two later was on my way to Paris with 5 drops!!!
I had lost contact with Peter until just a few weeks ago when Ian, another ex Peca driver put us back in touch.
The job wasn't about the money then, it wasn't too bad, but we had some fun working there and there is lots of stories I could tell, but won't lol.
Peter was "old school" as were a couple of the drivers that worked there, the type of people that take you under their wing and teach you the job properly. I learned how to rope and sheet reels of paper that were tested for damp at the customer, chain and carry steel, long loads, wide loads we done it all, even collecting wine from the vineyards in France for delivery to the supermarket distribution centers back in England.
The top picture was taken in Norway and the second was loading dried flowers in Holland. The other two were in our yard in Widnes.

No comments: