Sunday 6 July 2008

6th July 2008

Sue's weed, oops sorry I mean vegetable, garden is starting to come along nicely. We were very late in planting things this year and then when we did get around to it we had a lot of wind and rain but the veggies are starting to come through.
If you look at the comments on the previous posting you will see one left by Phil, montedarlo, who is another Brit trucker in Canada, see his blog here http://www.montedarlo.blogspot.com/ . Phils comment got me thinking about how much my life, and my families lives, have changed over the last 12 months since arriving in Canada. I have replied to his comment and I don't want to offend or upset anyone when I say this but since I came off long haul I have got a life back again. I have every weekend off and we are actually planing our weekends 3 or 4 weeks in advance now. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy long haul because I did and do miss it occasionally. I would go back to long haul too, if I had to, but we have so many friends now that we are doing things with, and planning things that it would be a tough decision to make.
Our weekends are now busier than my working week ;0). This weekend, on Friday we had Sally & Chris, Jason & Jenn here then Saturday we had a relaxing day on the decking and went to "The Village Green" in the evening for a meal with Jason & Jenn. Today the weather is a little mixed so we are keeping our options open, motocross in Grunthal and maybe baseball in Mitchell in the afternoon.

1 comment:

Trkrjim said...

I second Monty, I have been doing this for 16 years and am looking forward to calling it quits after just a few more. Not sure what your cost of living is there, but I have never felt like I was able to take a local job and maintain the standard of living my family deserves. I'm home every week, longest i'm gone for is 8 days on a west coast run but still having a life outside of trucking is just an illususion when your gone all the time. one's in college, other one has 4 more at home. i'm in grand forks right now as I write this, i like it here. maybe i'll drive a grain truck in the future from this side. take care.